Voortrekker Road Corridor Improvement District – VRCID
If you need to contact the VRCID Management team please use the following details:
Chief Operation Officer:
Derek Bock: email@example.com or 083 409 9999
As a property owner, resident or member of the community in the area you are no doubt well aware of the serious problems along and adjacent to Voortrekker Road through Parow and Bellville. Collectively the issues of crime and grime, homelessness, aggressive begging, informal car guards, prostitution and drug dealing are all escalating alarmingly. All these are, to say the least, annoying problems indeed, problems of great concern which need to be effectively addressed.
Radio Tygerberg supported by the Bellville Sakekamer has taken the initiative to seek solutions to these problems and they have successfully gained the approval of the City of Cape Town to establish a Special Ratings Area (SRA) known as the VRCID.
What is a Special Ratings Area (SRA)?
- A statutory body established under the SRA by-law of the City of Cape Town previously known as a City Improvement District (CID).
- The SRA is funded by way of a levy s collected from rate payers by the City of Cape Town and paid to the management board of the VRCID SRA
- The funds raised are dedicated to improving services within the VRC area, such as security, cleansing and other urban upgrade initiatives.
Why do we need the SRA?
- It will reduce crime, grime and homelessness
- It will provide a safer, cleaner and friendlier public environment
- Public space will be upgraded
- Property values tend to increase within SRA’s
How does it work?
- Provides ‘top up’ services to those provided by the City
- The levies may only be used for services stipulated in the business plan as agreed to by property owners in the area at a public meeting.
- An SRA provides property owners with a direct say in the management of the public space.
We are currently establishing the VRCID Management Company and our management team will be in place on 1 July 2012.